Networking To Grow Your Business
Networking – is that outside of your comfort zone? Here are my top 5 tips to becoming a successful networker.
Does the thought of networking fill you with dread? I have been networking for the best part of 4 years and I remember when I first began – cold sweat, panic, procrastination – anything so I didn’t have to go to a networking meeting. I have to talk to people, about me and my business and worse, if it’s formal networking I will have to stand up and do an elevator pitch.
No, hated it, dreaded it, not doing it *stamping feet*.
Actually, 4 years later, it is how my business has grown and continues to grow. Why? Here are my top 5 tips of becoming a successful networker and making it work for you:
- Find a membership networking group that works for your business and personality. This takes time, however, the value of a good group will only reap benefits. Additionally, membership groups mean you are committed and serious about growing your business
- Invest in time to prepare. Rocking up and winging it may work for some people, however, if you are not good at that, prepare; the night before, day before, whatever works for you but work on your elevator pitch
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want
- Don’t sell to the room. Who goes to a networking event to buy something? It’s not who is in the room, it’s who they know
- Work hard to get to know your network and understand their businesses so you can make referrals appropriately
And finally, enjoy – you never know who you will meet!
Networking is an investment. It is hard work and can be time consuming, however, if you are committed you will reap the benefits.
I would love to hear your networking stories – what works for you and what doesn’t?
Live, laugh and love